Welcome to 6M and 6S
Dear Families of our Year 6 children,
This final year in our school for your children is an important time as they build on all their previous learning and develop their skills. We need your support at home to ensure your child meets the high aspirations we all have for them.
The Autumn term is a very busy and demanding one, so it is essential that your child starts the year focussed and ready to learn. We will be developing on their knowledge from previous years in Reading, Writing and Maths as well as the wider curriculum. Maths will focus on number knowledge and the four operations. Our core text in Reading is ‘Kensuke’s Kingdom’ and it links with our writing, where we will write a number of texts and stories linked to the book.
Below is an outline of what work your child should be doing at home.
- Children should read every day for a minimum of 20 minutes. If they find this difficult, try setting up a family reading time where everyone in the house reads their books.
- The spellings for the week are listed in your child's Weekly Planner. Spelling tests happen every Friday and it is essential your child learns these off by heart.
- Maths homework will be based on the topic studied that week.
- Children are expected to practise times tables and number facts every day
- Those children who are registered on Prodigy maths app should spend time on the website every day so that they can meet their weekly targets.
- PE is on Tuesday’s and Friday’s
- Library sessions are on a Tuesday afternoon. Your child needs to bring their library book into school each day to read. They have the option to change their book each Tuesday.
- Children should begin preparing themselves for their new secondary schools. Begin looking at your preferred secondary school’s website to find information about different policies and expectations
Please talk with your child every day about what work they should be doing at home and help them to find time and space to complete it.
If you need to discuss anything regarding homework, please arrange to speak to your child's class teacher.
Thank you for your continuing support.
Year 6 Team
Mr. McKone & Mr. Spall