Welcome to 2R
This term we will be reading the story ‘Grace and Family’ by Mary Hoffman and linking it to our topic ‘Around the World in 80 days’ (continents and oceans).
Using this book, we will be:
- Writing a diary entry as the main character from the story.
- Creating a character description.
- Writing a persuasive holiday brochure (African Safari)
This term we will be focusing on:
- Fractions of shapes, lengths and quantities.
- Writing fractions in numbers and words.
- Multiplication and Division (2x, 3x, 5x and 10x tables).
- Recalling multiplication and division facts.
- Understand the inverse relationship between multiplication and division.
- Measurements including length, weight and volume.
- Telling the time to the nearest 5 minutes.
- In Topic we will be learning about continents and oceans. We will also be exploring the world using an atlas and maps around our local area. Through this we will recognise landmarks specific to the UK and research others around the world.
- By the end of this unit children will be able to locate and name the continents and oceans. They will know locational and directional language (North, East, South, West and near, far, left, right) to describe locations on a map. Also, they will recognise iconic landmarks in the UK and around the world.
As always we will continue working on:
- Using the suffix –ful, -less, -ment, -ness and –ly.
- Using interesting adjectives particularly focusing on emotions.
- Using commas in lists.
- Using various conjunctions to extend our sentences.
- Spellings rules and patterns including homophones.
- Using joined up handwriting starting on the line.
- Reading fluently and with expression.
- Understanding what is being read.
- Being able to infer and read between the lines how a character may be feeling.
Please sign the reading records regularly and remind children to bring their home reading books into school every day.
PE kits on Monday and Tuesday.